Re: caution: new website 24-hour test

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: caution: new website 24-hour test
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:29:05 +0100

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 03:21:23PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> * http://lilypond.org/introduction.html - there should be a link to
> the next 'chapter' directly following the main text. Right now, people
> need to think about what to click next.

Ok, I know how to improve the "Where now?" box.

> * http://lilypond.org/background.html - essay should link to the start
> of the essay (eg. 1st page of the split-up page).

Do people always want to read the split-page?  I'm fine with
making this change, but then it won't be obvious for
introduction-readers how to find the pdf or big html version.

Now, I can't see big demand for the big html version (no pun
intended), but I definitely *can* imagine people liking the idea
of a printable pdf for the essay.

(that said, we could duplicate the current Essay page in the
Background page... I'm not wild about that due to the mess of
macros and whatnot, but it's definitely an option)

> * Some parts of the visual style (mainly the lines and boxes around
> text blocks) interrupt the flow of reading.  I think page is better
> readable when you have less visual demarcations between sections.

Is this a general comment on the entire website, or just for
certain sections?

> * http://lilypond.org/background.html - demarcations are especially
> distracting when there is just single phrases of text.

(ok, that one was an obvious "certain section" comment.  :)

> * http://lilypond.org/essay.html - links to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Background.html/index.html

Yes, because the essay isn't part of 2.12.  That section looked
like the most likely place.

This is a general problem for the new website -- the Manuals
section was designed with the 2.13 docs in mind, because a year
ago I couldn't imagine that we'd still be trying to get 2.14 out.
We have a few options on where to go next, but I don't like any of
the things I've thought of so far.