Re: Vertical spacing regression !?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing regression !?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:48:26 +0200

Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

> It isn't just a matter of running time, though. There are plenty of
> side-effects in the layout step (for example, grobs which get
> destroyed). If we really wanted to try multiple layouts, someone would
> have to go through the whole backend code to remove these
> side-effects.

As I said: I was just putting out my spontaneous thoughts.  If I was
responsible manager, I'd declare "make it so" and rush out before
anybody clubs me.

Instead I am in the position of doomsayer.  And if you say "typesetting
a complex score with 100 pages will take a week for the final, good
pass", then the obvious reply is that letting it done manually will
require two months.  So an expensive good option is still worth a lot,
as long as the expense is not ridiculous.

As long as the expense remains close to linear to the size of the task,
one can manage it by throwing heavier iron at it when time is important.

What you label as "these side-effects" sounds like something that is
going to come back and bite us, anyway.

So much for my gut feelings.