Re: Chromatic transposition -- a very small starting step

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Chromatic transposition -- a very small starting step
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 23:09:12 +0100

On 8 July 2010 22:06, Joseph Wakeling <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 10:25 PM, Neil Puttock wrote:

> ('original' and 'revised' refer to the original and my version of
> naturalizeMusic?)

Yes.

> So ... other than that it might be nice to have the snippet for 2.12, is
> there any contribution that I can meaningfully make to 2.13 with this?
> The ensuring-convergence-of-naturalization seems superfluous now, but
> the variable determination of maximum alteration might be worthwhile.

There's still room for improvement, I think.

Have a play around with 2.13.27 to get a feel for how this bugfix
changes things.

> The reason I was working on this was with the longer-term aim of being
> able to have an option to set transposition style in music:
>
>       \set Staff.transpositionStyle = #'chromatic
>       % what follows will be transposed in chromatic fashion
>
>       \set Staff.transpositionStyle = #'tonal
>       % tonal transposition
>
>       \set Staff.transpositionStyle = #'chromatic-harp
>       % chromatic transposition tailored for harp, so
>       % no alterations of > 1/2-tone

That sounds like a useful enhancement, except that it would be a music
property rather than a context property, since transposition happens
before translation.

Cheers,
Neil