Re: vim filetype off

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: vim filetype off
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:32:30 -0700

On 2010-07-27, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:15:36AM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Graham Percival
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Why on earth do we have a
> > > filetype off
> > > set runtimepath
> > > filetype on
> > >
> > > in the suggested .vimrc ?  Those lines should be unnecessary.
> >
> > Basically, if I remove the "filetype" lines, the "set runtimepath"
> > occurs too late in the filetype detection sequence to have any effect.
> >  By turning off filetype detection, modifying the runtimepath, and
> > re-enabling filetype detection, the new runtimepath will be
> > recognized.
>
> Hmm.  I'd prefer doing
>   set runtimepath+=
>   syntax on
> since that's IMO more understandable.  According to that thread,
> it will have the same effect.

That doesn't work for me, unfortunately.

Sourcing $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim executes

  syntax on
  filetype plugin indent on

which means that the runtimepath has already been searched before any
commands in ~/.vimrc are executed.

Looking into this a bit more, I found another incantation that works:

  set runtimepath+=/path/to/lilypond/current/vim
  runtime! ftdetect/lilypond.vim

Would you prefer this over the filetype off/on version?

Thanks,
Patrick