Re: Modularity in lilypond

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Modularity in lilypond
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:17:38 +0200

True that.

My three.5 concerns are:
1) said code cannot use non-public scheme functions (am I right in thinking
that?).
2) changes to init.ly are not copied from one version of lilypond to the
next, nor are one person's "modules".  I do my compiling from the git
repository, so I could likely rig something like that for my own machine,
but I imagine this is even more problematic for someone downloading a
GUB-made lilypond.  I had this problem with my site-packages when I updated
from Python 2.4 to 2.6, and it took me days to get back things as I had
them.
3) There should be some sorta standard practice (ie template) for how
modules are written (I believe that's what David was referring to).
3.5) I stand by my assertion that certain features of lilypond should be
turned into modules if lilypond is to grow to be as encompassing as
something like j-edit or emacs.  Given the many amount of musics in this
world, if lilypond wants to grow to be as wide-reaching as possible, such a
move seems logical for subsequent versions.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
~Mike