Re: Half-baked unused features.

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Half-baked unused features.
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:29:19 +0300

Am Sonntag 15 August 2010, um 15:48:26 schrieb David Kastrup:
> What is the general stance towards cleanup (of unused dormant stuff
> never documented for general use) like that as long as it is contained
> in separate commits and not intermingled with other changes?  Should it
> be wrapped in a full review process?

We don't have a full review process... Often, you don't get even a response.

Anyway, I would propose to submit any feature removal for code review. Many
features don't have proper regtests (most have, but that's not consistent). I
had such situations, where a commit didn't change any regtest, but badly broke
most real-life scores.
Also, It might still be the case that it is there for a reason, that you don't
know... (eg.generating internal documentation, etc.)

So, please give the other developers the chance to check whether your
assessment that the feature is unneeded is really correct.

I personally would never even think about removing functionality without
asking if I'm missing anything.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/