Re: Suggestion for CG - make targets section

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Suggestion for CG - make targets section
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:24:46 +0100

Ian Hulin wrote Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:45 PM

I'm just recovering from building and testing my first docs patch
*{s\h/u\d/d\e/r\}*. As I didn't know any better, I had to resort to
doing make doc and make doc-clean while developing the patch.

Firstly, what's the grown-up doc developer's way of this without having to kick off your make doc run and then leave it going overnight every
time you notice a typo in the doc source?

I've found that most of the doc files can be compiled separately to an html file in around 1-2 minutes. All you need is to pass them through
lilypond-book and texi2html.  A bit of fiddling is needed to get the
various macros in the right place, and to get the libraries in the right order, but it's not too difficult to put a script together. This gives you
a quick way of checking the texinfo syntax and the appearance in
html - all you need while writing docs.

Trevor