Re: Files for the first phase of Czech translation of documentation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Files for the first phase of Czech translation of documentation
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:07:47 +0200

Hi Pavel,

Francisco has already replied to you while I was writing this, so the
reply about the node name issue w.r.t. cases in Czech is just a
rewording of his last reply.

Il giorno dom, 19/09/2010 alle 15.36 +0200, Pavel Fric ha scritto:
> I send the files in attachment. The .po file was sent already before.
> The template was taken from German translation files, so I didn't
> handle with the structure of files, only translated texts in German
> language.

Are you sure the German template is up to date?  It's good to see what
other translations do to give you some idea by examples, but it's better
to start from docs in English, using template generation tools explained
in the Contributors' Guide, even if these are not perfect.  As the docs
maintenance and development is English-speaking-centric, and it would be
very hard to change this development model, I'd rather not take files
from a language other than English, or if I did I would carefully check
that the translation was up-to-date at last release on
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/translated.html

> I have one question. There are lines with:
>

> @ref{Textový vstup}
> @unnumberedsec Textový vstup
> @translationof Text input

I guess you mean "@node Textový vstup" instead of "@ref{Textový vstup}"
here.

> and on other place:
>
> @ref{Textovém vstupu}
>
> "Text input" in braces is in the first case translated in the
> nominative (1. pád), but in the second case in ablative or say
> locative (6. pád)
>
> Does it matter? This "problem" - difference between text strings in
> braces is only on some places, not all. The solution would be somehow
> change the syntax of statement, or force nominative, even if the
> beauty of language would suffer.

There is a way to respect cases by defining a value of the third
argument of @ref command as the text you'd like to make appear, whereas
the first argument to @ref command should always be the exact node name
so that a dummy computer program can find where the node was defined,
that is you should write @ref commands like (note the two commas)

@ref{NODE_NAME_AS_DEFINED,,NODE_NAME_AS_IT_SHOULD_READ}

e.g. in the example you give

@ref{Textový vstup,,Textovém vstupu}

This way of doing things means extra work for you, and it's only up to
you (and other Czech translators for LilyPond if any) to decide whether
to use correct cases to node names in cross-references.  If you decide
to do so, macros used for cross-references to other LilyPond manuals
(@ruser @rlearning etc.) may need this kind of treatment as well, I'll
explain you how in case you have decided to use correct cases.

All the best,
John