Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:16:40 -0600

On 9/21/10 3:46 AM, "Joseph Wakeling" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 09/20/2010 03:41 PM, Hans Aberg wrote:
>> A sharp is M-m and a flat m-M.
>
> If I understand right, this is a key "trick" of your system, since such
> representations allow you to raise or lower the pitch without affecting
> the degree.
>
> So by extension, if we say that q is a quarter-tone, to raise or lower
> by a quarter-tone would be to add (m-q) or (q-m); and to raise or lower
> by 3/4-tone would be to add (M-q) or (q-M).
>
> .... but where/how in that system do we distinguish between for example
> natural + 1/4 and sharp - 1/4 .... ?  Presumably the former is (m-q)
> whereas the latter is (M-m)+(q-m) ... ?

It seems to me that the pitches natural+1/4 and sharp - 1/4 are the same
pitch (i.e. enharmonic equivalents) and that it is appropriate to have
either one represent the same pitch.

The display of the accidentals leading to that pitch should likely be a
property of a key-signature that shows how to display a given pitch.  I'm
not sure exactly how to accomplish this, but it seems the proper logical
structure to me.

Thanks,

Carl