Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:13:44 +0100

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:55:52PM +0200, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> On 09/20/2010 05:27 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
> > Excellent reference!  That book is frequently quoted on this list, so
> > this should settle any question of "is it necessary".
>
> Does that settle the matter adequately? :-)

No, because it's not in the issue tracker.  My guess is that
there's a 50-80% chance that this thread produces another 20
emails, then ends, and nothing happens.  Then in another 4-6
months, I stumble across issue 694 again, and we start the cycle
again.

Please send a minimal example and a short explanation, with scans,
to the bug list.  Not the devel list.  Due to our limited
volunteers for the bug squad, they don't read -devel.  Also, write
the explanation for typical users, not developers -- because
that's what the bug squad (mostly) is.  Also*2, write the
explanation for non-music-theoreticians and
non-group-theory-math-people, because you shouldn't assume that
the bug squad members are familiar with those concepts.

You can include a link to this discussion, so that people who want
tons of details can find them.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I've seen tons of
useful-seeming discussions die out without producing any code and
without archiving the useful material anywhere, and then a few
months (or years) later the discussion happens again.  For better
or worse, we've decided to use the google issue tracker as a
central location for feature requests.  For better or worse, we
can barely scrap together enough non-technical users to have a bug
squad.

If you work within those boundaries, you'll have a much better
chance of something getting done.