Re: T1247 - Conditionally do (use-modules (ice-9 curried-definitions)) i

From: ianhulin44
Subject: Re: T1247 - Conditionally do (use-modules (ice-9 curried-definitions)) if running with Guile V2, (issue2219044)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:20:05 +0000

On 2010/09/26 00:00:27, Neil Puttock wrote:
On 2010/09/25 23:39:33, ianhulin44 wrote:

> Looking at warn.cc I can see ly:progress and ly:message are
synonymous.

ly:message always starts on a new line.

ly:progress calls progress_indication () directly, which has this
comment above
it:

> I felt some indication was useful at run-time that we weren't trying
to use
the
> V2-specific modules when running with --verbose using Guile V1.8.

Why is that useful?  It's irrelevant for anybody using 1.8.

Cheers,
Neil

--verbose messages are used for development and maintenance purposes as
well as for advanced user hacking.
E.g. messages are output for each file loaded by lily,scm when it's run
up during initialization.
Files loaded like this are dynamically byte-compiled by Guile V2.
Guile V2 also dynamically compiles any files accessed via
(use-modules(...)) both by lily.scm and any .scm files loaded by
lily.scm: it's a PITA keeping track of all this.
This patch adds a new module solely for use by Guile V2.0.  I have work
coming up (T1249) which implies we will need to use modules under V1.8
which will be part of the Guile V2.0 base code, i.e. we will need to
conditionally load them when running with Guile V1.8 and not V2 (e.g.
(ice-9 syncase) so we can fix a V2 compilation problem in
ly-syntax-contructors.scm).
At the moment, I have a use for such messages while working on the Guile
migration stuff.  If you feel they are a serious nuisance for users
running V1.8 and using --verbose by all means open an issue and I'll
take them out once all the issues spawned by T1055 are fixed and
LilyPond is running up without problems using both Guile V1.8 and V2.
Cheers,
Ian

http://codereview.appspot.com/2219044/