Re: what is "stretchability" exactly?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: what is "stretchability" exactly?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:01:34 -0700

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:
NR 4.1.2 "Page formatting" defines stretchability as "the
ease with which the stretchable space increases when a page
is stretched."  Can anyone provide a more technical
quantified explanation?

We space systems by simulating ideal springs (more or less). Stretchability is the inverse of the spring constant in Hooke's law. A reasonable default is stretchability = space, because it keeps the proportions constant (assuming there are no collisions).

What is one stretchability unit?
How will I know which value to use?  Is there a max value?
I see the default stretchability for bottom-system-spacing
is 5.  Unfortunately, this doesn't tell me anything about
what I should expect to happen.  5 of what?

Thanks
- Mark