Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:17:12 +0200

Mark Polesky <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> The main problem I see with that naming scheme is that it
>> does not reflect score sheet design, but the current
>> implementation.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> So the proposed scheme ties something presented as document
>> spacing parameters into internal details of their
>> implementation.
>
> What would you propose to resolve that?

I don't think I can propose something that would not move seriously into
GLISS domain.  I don't see how one could sensibly manage this in a
natural, designer-intuitive way without a spacing system that offers
some sort of inheritance/fallback/hierarchy where you can get consistent
design by specifying few parameters, but have an option to specify more
specialized spacing independently/additionally and/or combine several
simultaneously triggered spacing parameters (i.e., taking their
maximum).

The usual kind of document spacings fall into several kinds depending on
a hierachy level.  If we say that a high hierarchy level corresponds to
low letters, low hierarchy to later letters, you may have

inter-b-spacing for b-b

before-b-spacing for c-b, d-b, e-b

after-b-spacing for b-c, b-d, b-e

But after-a-spacing for a-b.

I am not sure that this sort of pure hierarchy is good enough, or
whether one needs some max/min scheme.

The basic point is that for x different document element levels, we get
along more or less with a hierarchy and 3*x settings rather than x^2
flat settings.