Re: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:40:54 -0700

On mailing list lilypond-user, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Keith E OHara wrote Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:40 AM

I no longer see any reason to use instrumentCueName for the labels
that identify the instrument playing cue notes.

OK.  I'll see what you suggest.

I suggest (diff attached) removing the part about instrumentCueName in favor of
a fuller example for \killCues.  The manual teaches markup elsewhere; the
challenge with cue-note labels is to let the label appear with the cue notes in
parts, but not in the score.

  bassoon = \relative c {
    \clef bass
    R1
    \tag #'part {
      \clef treble
      s1*0^\markup { \tiny "flute" }
    }
    \cueDuring #"flute" #UP { R1 }
    \tag #'part \clef bass
    g4. b8 d2
  %{%}>

Corresponding suggestions for vocal.itely will follow shortly.

Related changes (in the same diff) that you can take if you like :
1) \cueDuring #"flute" may be used *before* \addQuote "flute" \flute  appears
in the source file, and knowing that empowers users to write parts that quote each other.

2) Two pieces of instruction were a bit vague :
"It is possible to tag cued parts with unique names in order to process them in
different ways."
"[...] when cue notes end, the name of the original instrument should be printed,
and any other changes introduced by the cued part should be undone.  This can be
accomplished by using @code{\addInstrumentDefinition}"

I think the intent was to teach how to handle clef changes (as in the thread
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-02/msg00278.html>)

As replacement I suggest, after the fuller \killCues example, :
 +The @code{\killCues} command removes only the notes and events
 +that were quoted by @code{\cueDuring}.  Other markup associated
 +with cues, such as clef changes and a label identifying the source
 +instrument, can be tagged for selective inclusion in the score;
 +see @ref{Using tags}.  Clef changes and instrument labels can be
 +collected into an instrument definition for repeated use, using
 address@hidden described in @ref{Instrument
 +names}.

3) The description of transposedCueDuring might have been wrong (or I
interpreted it wrongly) in the case of transposing instruments.
My suggested replacement comes from experiment and inspection of
quote-iterator.cc.

-Keith