Re: non-technical help for spacing issues

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: non-technical help for spacing issues
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:24:33 +0100

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 01:23:01PM -0700, Keith E OHara wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 05:12:16 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 00:47:01 -0700, Graham wrote:
> >This is directed at people saying "I can't do anything to help..."
> >
> You sent this to -devel; did you intend -user ?

No; I know from experience that this nets a few well-intentioned
but clueless users.  Sometimes they turn out to be great
contributors (and even senior developers), but from experience
only about 30% of them result in a net plus to lilypond
development.

I wanted developers (some of whom have said "I can't do anything
to help with the current Critical issues"), and highly interested,
skilled users.  Like yourself.  :)

See below for more.

> I have a couple such overrides already from trying out the first
> alpha.  In the next two evenings, I intend to try 2.13.37 on a
> few piano pieces, and one full-size orchestral score plus parts,
> and something string-quartet size from mutopia.  I can post here
> any spacing overrides that seem wise, with tiny cropped images
> showing why I think they are wise, by Friday.

That sounds ideal!

> However, I have no familiarity with how vocal music is supposed
> to look, and I tend to avoid tweaks myself.  Graham's request
> seems quite easy for a few people to cooperate on, if we test
> the union of the overrides that we collectively need.

That would also be great!  Would you be willing to organize such
an effort, particularly including lilypond-user?

I don't want to send an email there, because then people (quite
reasonably) ask me about it, and I just don't have the time for
that -- it's not yet 9am on Wednesday, and I've already used up
7 hours of my allowable 10 hours of lilypond time for this week.
But if you were willing to organize the effort, help
well-intentioned users learn how to write tweaks, make apologies
for bugs or missing documentation, etc., this would definitely be a
great help towards 2.14!  :)