Re: Remove arabic.ly from common note name languages. (issue2755041)

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Remove arabic.ly from common note name languages. (issue2755041)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:40:21 +0200

On 27 Oct 2010, at 19:41, address@hidden wrote:

A few editorial suggestions ... some apply to other similar instances,
which I've not marked.

The description of Turkish music is rather cursory: there are several descriptions. See for example Ozan Yarman, "A Comparative Evaluation of Pitch Notations in Turkish Makam Music".

The LilyPond text refers, I take it, to the Arel-Ezgi-Uzdilek (AEU) system. It does divide the major second M into 9 parts, but the minor second m is divided into 4; so it is 2*m + 5*M = 2*4 + 5*9 = 53 equal temperament. The file makam.ly, I recall, departs from E12 dividing the major second into 9 parts. So it should be in E108.

So I avoid using the terms "whole" and "half" tones, because the half tone is not in general a half of the whole tone. :-)

Also, when listing the note names as c, d, e, ..., then that refers to the octave numbering of major scales which I think was introduced by Helmholtz, possibly influenced by Romantic period centralizing CPP major/minor harmony.

At the Maqam World site <http://www.maqamworld.com/>, they number the octaves according to the minor scale. I do not know why, but perhaps they have never started using the Helmholtz system. So perhaps the notes should be named a, b, c, ... in this context.

Just mentioning it. When LilyPond expand being capable of handling more music outside CPP, there might be more such details pooping up.