Re: Add tab-tie-follow-engraver (issue2723043)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Add tab-tie-follow-engraver (issue2723043)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:33:09 -0600

On 11/3/10 12:43 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 3 November 2010 16:15, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> You're welcome.
>>>
>>> Pushed to git.
>>>

>> Oops, I found an error!
>>
>> While my engraver added 'tie-follow only to the notes followed by a slur or
>> a glissando,
>> your engraver adds this to *every* tied note, so the callbacks in
>> tablature.scm are
>> not working properly - *every* note that is 'tied to' gets parenthesized!
>
> It's a shame Carl's already pushed the patch; I don't think it's ready yet.

I'm sorry.  I'll revert it.

> The code for checking bounds is wrong: as I noted for the original
> patchset, get_bound () is the correct method, rather than jumping into
> scheme (ly:spanner-bound).

Fixed.

>> Moreover, Neil's argument that slurs and glissandos do not belong to the
>> engraver
>> seems not to be valid - every note that is 'tied to' now gets the
>> 'tie-follow mark, so the
>> tie handler will make them invisible and the slur routine that may follow
>> changes the visibility
>> again, and that's exactly what Neil critiziced at my first approach (and he
>> was right about that).
>
> That's because the tie callback is interfering with the slur and
> glissando callbacks: you need to stop it making the noteheads
> transparent.

But the tie callback *should* make the notehead transparent if there's no
slur or gliss (or bend, in the future).  In the absence of slur, gliss, or
split tie the notehead is transparent.  In the presence of one of these,
it's visible and parenthesized.

So how would one achieve this behavior without the tie callback making the
notehead transparent?

Thanks,

Carl