Renaming the 'space alist-key

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Renaming the 'space alist-key
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

7 proposals for renaming the 'space alist-key have been
discussed, but a decision has not yet been made.  And I just
added an 8th proposal (initial-distance).

The discussion began with the 7 posts starting here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-10/msg00085.html

...and continued with the 3 posts starting here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-10/msg00359.html

To recap, I think the arguments *for* each of these are
mostly self-evident, so the list here only includes the
arguments *against* those that have been opposed:

1) default-distance
   * sounds like the program's default, not the user's
2) optimal-distance
   * sounds like the resulting trade-off between the
     desired distance and situational spacing constraints
3) desired-distance
4) requested-distance
5) base-distance
   * sounds like the distance between "bases"
6) unstretched-distance
   * sounds like space can only stretch, not compress
7) basic-distance
8) initial-distance

I vote for either 7 or 8.  What about you?
- Mark