Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 01:46:55 -0700

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 20:08:06 -0700, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:

Keith E OHara wrote:
I had imagined you would simultaneously change
       staff-affinity  (UP / DOWN / CENTER)
to    reference-direction (UP / DOWN / CENTER)
so we can remember that this direction tells us which
staff is which between referencestaff and oppositestaff.

I think staff-affinity is more informative than
reference-direction.

Cool.
It does make some sense that staff-affinity tells you which staff is the
relatedstaff,
because Affinity and Relationship can be synonyms.

nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing also determines the space
between an UP nonstaff and a DOWN nonstaff (if there is no
CENTER nonstaff between them)...

I *think* that's just a case of stretching to prevent
collisions.  Does the same happen when all the
'stretchability and 'padding keys are set to 0?  If yes,
please post a minimal example.

I think so, but with so many rods and springs in there, I might have missed one.

If your mind is still on this tomorrow, I'll post a minimal example in relation
to issue 1309 (one of the troika of lyrics issues).  My proposed changes to the
spacing defaults make the problem in 1309 slightly worse, and tomorrow I'll
post why and see if that opens the door to a satisfactory workaround.
-
Keith