Re: [Patch] Fix #1365: convert-ly shouldn't remove Dynamics performergro

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Patch] Fix #1365: convert-ly shouldn't remove Dynamics performergroup
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 06:56:07 -0700

On 11/7/10 6:50 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:26:59PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>>
>> Valentin Villenave wrote Sunday, November 07, 2010 10:35 AM
>>
>>> I'm not sure if we've ever used convert-ly to insert comments in
>>> .ly
>>> files, but I do think we should in this specific case: the
>>> piano-centered dynamics template has been used by a *lot* of
>>> people in
>>> the past, and it's much more safe IMO if convert-ly puts a comment
>>> as
>>> some kind of a placeholder.
>>
>> Well, I never did master regular expressions, so I can't vouch for
>> the
>> accuracy of this, but I agree with inserting a comment when these
>> lines
>> are removed.
>
> The normal method would be for convert-ly to print a warning
> message to the console.  Why is this Dynamics thing so different
> from previous changes?

IIUC, the basic reasoning is as follows:

In most changes, a NOT_SMART rule leads to invalid syntax that will flag an
error or warning when compiling the file.

In this case, the rule leads to lines being removed that just eliminate
behavior of the file; no warning or error is produced by the compilation.
Hence the desire for the comment.

Thanks,

Carl