Re: [Patch] Fix #1365: convert-ly shouldn't remove Dynamics performergro

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: [Patch] Fix #1365: convert-ly shouldn't remove Dynamics performergroup
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:43:06 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:50 PM

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:26:59PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Valentin Villenave wrote Sunday, November 07, 2010 10:35 AM

>I'm not sure if we've ever used convert-ly to insert comments in
>.ly
>files, but I do think we should in this specific case: the
>piano-centered dynamics template has been used by a *lot* of
>people in
>the past, and it's much more safe IMO if convert-ly puts a >comment
>as
>some kind of a placeholder.

Well, I never did master regular expressions, so I can't vouch for
the
accuracy of this, but I agree with inserting a comment when these
lines
are removed.

The normal method would be for convert-ly to print a warning
message to the console.  Why is this Dynamics thing so different
from previous changes?

Because otherwise there is no indication left in the
file of any change having been made.  I think if this
applies in other cases a note should be made in the
file to that effect in the place where the removed
code used to be.  But when the code is either changed
or left intact a console message is fine.

Trevor