Re: Byzantine chant and microtones

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Byzantine chant and microtones
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:01:21 +0100

On 6 Nov 2010, at 03:33, Erich Enke wrote:

I just happened across a Sept 2010 post on lilypond-devel regarding
microtones.  It reminded me how I've been wanting to work on Byzantine
notation support for lilypond.  I would love to have a tool that could
actually transcribe between western and Byzantine notation, and
produce midis.  That would be amazing.

If you like, you might start using staff notation alone: there are similar scales in oriental (Persian/Arab/Turkish) music. One then introduces some microtonal accidentals.

I have looked through some Byzantine scales, and can see more or less how to do it. You might use E72 or E53, the latter if you learn Graham Breed's implementation.