Re: oddHeaderMarkup and its kin are \paper variables?

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: oddHeaderMarkup and its kin are \paper variables?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:12:31 +0100

On 15 November 2010 06:18, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:

> These are essentially \paper variables, right?
>  oddHeaderMarkup
>  evenHeaderMarkup
>  oddFooterMarkup
>  evenFooterMarkup
>
> You have to set them in the \paper block, it seems, so I
> would like to categorize them alongside things like
> system-separator-markup.  Would that make sense?
>
> So maybe this is something for GLISS, but in keeping with
> the naming format of \paper variables, we should probably
> change these to:
>  odd-header-markup
>  even-header-markup
>  odd-footer-markup
>  even-footer-markup
>
> Thoughts?

What is actually inside "oddHeaderMarkup" is a (quite complex) markup.
Using a syntax like "odd-header-markup" would look like it is a
"vertical spacing variable", like the ones you have been renaming.
Which could be confusing.

But I may be biased, due to this "vertical spacing" discussions that
took place recently.

> Since I'm not a big fan of camel-case names, I second such a change.
> However, I would do it rather now since we are already renaming so
> many things.

LilyPond *is* a camel-case names application.
Every user-defined variable is a camel-case name, many commands are
camel-case (some are not, which could be confusing).

By the way, isn't "oddHeaderMarkup" actually called with
\oddHeaderMarkup ?
Then changing the name with '-' would break it, isn't it?

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>