Re: questioning doc policy for @item

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: questioning doc policy for @item
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 00:44:54 +0000

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 08:55:26AM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> CG 4.3.6 says:
> "Always put address@hidden on its own line, and separate
> consecutive items with a blank line."
>
> In fact, we literally have thousands of cases:
>
> $ git grep -c "address@hidden" |
>   sed -n 's/.*://p' |
>   awk '{total+=$0}END{print total}'
> 5103

GDP only covered about 30% of the docs, and didn't strictly
enforce the doc policy even within those areas, that's not a good
reason to change the policy.

> Personally, I don't mind this, so I'm questioning this
> particular policy, especially since the texinfo manual
> is rather flexible with the recommendations:

That's a better reason.

Ok, how about saying that you can have

@itemize
@item foo
@item bar
@end itemize

as long as each item is less than a line.  If there's multiple
lines involved, then do the full

@itemize
@item foo
far