Re: gettext status?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: gettext status?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:14:35 -0700

On 11/28/10 7:08 AM, "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jean-Charles, greetings everybody,
>
> I've been working on a patch for fr.po but I have a few questions:
>  - how do we register at the Translation Project? (actually, I'd
> prefer not to bother with it at all, I'd rather send you my patch and
> let you review it and upload it for me :)
>  - I noticed that several strings were'nt i18n in Lily's source code.
> Is there a reason for that? If it's just a matter of enclosing these
> in (_ "") or (_f "%s"), I can submit a patch for it. If there's a
> policy about it (e.g. "translate warnings but not progerrors", or
> something like that) then I can't remember having seen it in the CG
> (in which case I may /also/ submit a patch :)

See section 9.5.8 Localization for the policy on localization.
Programming_error () programming_warning () are not to be localized.  But
regular errors and warnings are.

I currently have a patch up for approval that fixes this problem in the fret
calculation section of scm/translation-functions.scm.  So please don't patch
those; I'd rather not have to deal with the merge conflicts.

  - I also noticed that some strings in the .po files are actually not
> in the source files: for example, have a look at fr.po line 1389. Why
> is that? do we need to run xgettext or something?
>  - speaking of the CG, maybe it would be better to have "Translation
> Work" as a top-level section, so that we could move there everything
> related to "Website translation", "Documentation translation", and add
> a "Program translation" subsection as well?

What would be in the "Program translation" section?  In general, do we want
to translate the source code?

Thanks,

Carl