Re: LilyBuntu [don't read kainhofer.com!]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LilyBuntu [don't read kainhofer.com!]
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:58:58 +0000

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:34:03PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> A few problems - can't get the Guest additions installed.  I
> think the problem is that LilyBuntu actually runs from the .iso
> that's mounted as a CD-ROM, and if you mount the guest additions
> as the CDROM, you lose the lilypond operating system files.  Not
> a big problem, I think, but something to mention.  I can only
> get 800x600 screen, which is a bit small.

Hmm.  My vague recollection is that you should mount the guest
additions, then install them.  After installing them, you
shouldn't need to mount them at all.
... oh wait.  Maybe it's the other way around?  Mount lilybuntu,
install that?
... no, wait*2, I think it's both.  Mount lilybuntu ISO, install
it, umount it, mount guest additions, install them, unmount them,
then never deal with the CDROM again.

> I can't work out how to download the
> source following the instructions in
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/Documentation/contributor/using-a-virtual-machine-to-compile-lilypond.html.

Ouch.  Please do *not* read kainhofer.  From time to time, the
docs there stop updating.  In this case, you're looking at old
docs which I spent approximately 5 hours rewriting back in August.
This is frustrating for everybody involved.

Please start reading here:
http://lilypond.org/help-us.html
You want to perform "complex tasks", and you are using windows.

Please let me know as soon as you hit a snag, so that I can fix
the docs.  It should be painless to go from a blank windows OS to
being able to create+test patches.  I know that we're not at this
stage yet, but if we make it a bit less painful each time somebody
tries to do it, then we'll improve the situation.

> You want me to discuss this by mail, or on .devel?

-devel please; I've added it.