Re: Add /chordGlissando to music functions (issue3530042)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Add /chordGlissando to music functions (issue3530042)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:39:44 +0000

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 07:04:20PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2010/12/11 18:52:28, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> >That being said, if we're to start accepting such tricks in the
> default
> >distribution, then I can think of several great snippets that would
> also make
> >good candidates for inclusion :-)
>
> Maybe we could create a directory called hacks/, where items that we
> don't really want in the main code base but are of use to users could be
> stored.

I tried to organize that during GDP.  Nobody was interested.  I
tried to get somebody to look into a few technical questions over
the summer:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-07/msg00407.html
but nobody was interested.

Granted, that last email isn't terribly encouraging, but I stand
by the main points:
1. somebody needs to do some research
2. nothing is happening until 2.14 is out

> If we started doing this, though, how would we distinguish between hacks
> that go only in the LSR and those that go in the hacks/ directory?

That's the easiest part.  One person takes responsibility as the
ly/ maintainer (or ly/hacks/, if you prefer), and *they* decide.
Or, given our collective disinterest in taking on
responsibilities, maybe that's the hardest part.  :|

> So perhaps this idea is a non-starter.

*sigh*

Like so many ideas that people have for lilypond, it's a nice
idea.  It's such a nice idea that multiple people have had it
years previously.  Our problem is not a lack of nice ideas.  The
problem is people willing to work on those ideas.

There's a bunch of areas where we suffer from a lack of
organization, of course, but we have a plan for sorting those out,
and in six months or so they should all be settled.  Our main
problem is that we have too many ideas and not enough work being
done to implement those ideas.  In army terms, we need "boots on
the ground".