Re: issue classification: priority guidelines

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: issue classification: priority guidelines
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:08:52 -0700

On 12/16/10 7:24 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>> 3.  Don't start with the hardest / highest-priority issues.  Pick
>> something tagged with "frogs" to get started on.
>
> Isn't that obvious? Along with the fact that i'd prefer to work on the
> issues that bother me the most, no matter their difficulty?
> :-)
> Well, maybe i'll manage to resist the temptation.

Actually, if you've got something that is bugging you, it might be something
to get started on.  I know it's not the recommended practice, but it
provides lots of motivation.  We can always tell you you're in over your
head after you try.
> <address@hidden> napisał:
>> Section 9.1 of the Contributor's Guide gives the 30-second overview of how
>> LilyPond works.  It is, however, missing a description of the output stage,
>> when she code that produces the postscript or svg commands is actually
>> executed.
>
> Yeah, i've read it already.
> Do you think i should read
> http://lilypond.org/web/images/thesis-erik-sandberg.pdf?

It's hard for me to say.  I read the thesis before I wrote section 9.1 of
the CG.  I think the stuff in 9.1 is the takeaway I got from the thesis.
But feel free to take a look at it.  You can decide it yourself.

>> Section 9.7 of the CG gives a rundown of a process used to trace the object
>> relationships that might help you better understand how lilypond works.
>> Give it a try.
>> A debugger might help, but I find it LilyPond to be so complex in its
>> execution that tracing it through a debugger is rarely helpful.
>
> I'll probably try both. At least at some { c } score.

Rather than trying to step through, I'd recommend that you pick an engraver
that you want to set a breakpoint in, then run it in the debugger and do a
stack trace after the break.  I think you'll be surprised by the depth of
the stack trace (I know I am).

> :)
> Thanks for help.

You're welcome.

> Good ...morning? (it's 3 am here in Poland)

Evening here in Utah..

Sleep well.

Carl