Re: lilybuntu 2

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilybuntu 2
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:25:03 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 09:44:06AM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> Just come across another issue you may want to document.  It's not
> trivial to get stuff on and off the VM.  If you install the Guest
> additions, copy and paste works fine.  However, I wasn't able to
> find an easy way to transfer files (e.g. patches).

Does the phrase "easy file sharing between host and client
operating systems" help?  well, if nothing else, I should change
that to match the "shared folders" terminology that virtualbox
uses.

> I was initially
> able to use the Windows network, but at some point that stopped
> working - I think it must have been when I went from live to the
> installed version.  I couldn't get ftp to work. In the end I
> resorted to Google and the VBox manual and it said that to get ftp
> working you need to change the setup from NAT network to Bridged.  I
> did this and lo - Windows network is back, as is ftp.  Might be
> worth a line in the CG to set up the VM as bridged.

Hmm.

I'm not certain that's the best solution, both for lilybuntu
networking (presumably you could reach the outside world if you
downloaded the source?), or for transferring files (some people
might not be familiar with windows networking?).

Ultimately, we're not going to reproduce all the virtualbox
documentation.  As long as it's obvious when something is a
general virtualbox question and people are directed to that (or
google), then I'm not too chuffed.  (did I use that word
correctly?)

I've tried to clarify this somewhat in the version of the
instructions I'm working on now; please wait a few hours for the
next annoucement and then check that.