Re: lilybuntu 2 and instructions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilybuntu 2 and instructions
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 00:53:44 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 05:32:38PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On 12/17/10 4:15 PM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Lilybuntu is a great name!
>
> It is, and I'd like to be able to keep it.  But the Ubuntu people are pretty
> clear about how they want to see their trademark used.

Yes.

> We could also come up with our own name that didn't include "buntu", and
> we'd be safe from the trademark threat potential.

This is my preference.  We're creative people.  We don't need to
play games with music copyright or trademarks.

> > We can call it what we like in our docs surely? As long as we state it is a
> > remixed version of Ubuntu blah blah blah...
>
> Well, we can do whatever we'd like.  But we'll have to be responsive if
> Canonical asks us to respect their trademark.

We'd have to be reponsive, either by changing the name, or by
challenging them in court.  But starting a pissing match with a
major linux distribution is hardly going to help us.

> What about if we came up with some other name that wouldn't cause trademark
> problems?

I was thinking along the lines of
  lily-contrib
  lily-contributer

> We could also call it lilypuntu, since they only claim trademark to words
> ending in "BUNTU".  Juse move the splice one character to the right.  It
> even sounds almost the same, but is spelled differently.

No, that's just thumbing our nose at them.

> We could also change the part of the name we put in our remix.  Instead of
> lilybuntu we could call it ubulily.

What about just
  ulily
?  of course, the ulinux people might object to that... but I like
the connotation of "you" in there.

Or even combine them?
  ulilycontrib