Re: DOC: NR Dynamics context and postfix dynamics (issue3743045)

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: DOC: NR Dynamics context and postfix dynamics (issue3743045)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:46:36 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/3743045/diff/1/Documentation/notation/expressive.itely
File Documentation/notation/expressive.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/3743045/diff/1/Documentation/notation/expressive.itely#newcode366
Documentation/notation/expressive.itely:366: Textual crescendo marks
begin with @code{\cresc}
On 2010/12/23 00:21:03, Trevor Daniels wrote:

It's not a priori obvious these are terminated in the same way,
although stating that
they are might be an alternative.

I think I'd prefer something like "Textual dynamic changes are ended in
the same manner as hairpin dynamics."

And leave the exact code demonstrations to the example.

Actually, as I read it, the manual says that:

 "A crescendo mark is started with \< and terminated with \!, an
absolute dynamic, or an additional crescendo or decrescendo mark. A
decrescendo mark is started with \> and is also terminated with \!, an
absolute dynamic, or another crescendo or decrescendo mark."

It draws no distinction between whether the mark is a hairpin or a
textual mark.  And I think it's appropriate that it does so.  Logically,
there is no difference between a hairpin or a "cresc. ..." spanner; it's
just a typographical distinction.

I think that drawing as many parallels as possible, with as little
repetition as is feasible, would be the best approach here.

However, the patch as proposed is better than the existing docs, so I'm
willing to agree to it.

http://codereview.appspot.com/3743045/