Re: lilypond too noisy on the cmd line

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: lilypond too noisy on the cmd line
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 02:25:57 -0500

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 10:19:18 +0000
Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 09:49:10AM +0000, Mark Veltzer wrote:
> > - version, progress and general messages which are not error
> > messages should go to stdout and NOT stderr.
> Good point; I've added this as
> > - a --quiet flag should be added to shut down all of the regular
> > messages which are not error messages (meaning those going to
> > stdout).
> Patches appreciated.  Unfortunately I doubt that anything will
> happen unless you personally work on it, but it's "on the books".

This is something I'd be interested in jumping in on. I've more-or-less
already done it in my sandbox.

Question: Should the be_verbose_global variable control this? I'm not
sure a new command line argument is really needed as long as it is
agreed upon what verbose is and isn't.

I added a be_quiet_global in my sandbox but reading the thread makes me
think that simplification is needed and not an expansion.