Re: CG: out-of-tree building in main compile chapter. (issue3823045)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CG: out-of-tree building in main compile chapter. (issue3823045)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:35:23 +0000

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:58:46AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> LGTM, apart a nitpick: I prefer to create build directory outside git
> tree, i.e. if foo/lily is my git repo, I build in foo/build, to avoid
> build/ appear to git as an untracked file.

Check .gitignore.  :)

I personally have also been doing a truly "out-of-tree" build
until recently, but I became concerned that unix newbies might not
like having a ~/lilypond-build/ in addition to ~/lilypond-git/.
I decided that putting build/ inside the source tree -- which is
actually the default in waf and cmake, for example -- was easier
to explain and understand for new contributors.