Re: mensural notation improvements (issue3797046)

From: Lukas Pietsch
Subject: Re: mensural notation improvements (issue3797046)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:18:15 +0100

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 08:44 +0000, address@hidden wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention: I've also rewritten dot handling within
ligatures.  The old code
- didn't avoid staff lines
- didn't conform actual usage: dotting notes above is not a practice,
only if they are first within a flexa, see examples in
http://anaigeon.free.fr/mes_facs/fsbarb.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Eton_Choirbook.jpg

(actually I know one example when the second flexa note is dotted above,
but general usage is like the two above, when such notes are dotted
behind.)

http://codereview.appspot.com/3797046/

According to Apel (1962: 99), the general rule would seem to be that the dot should be on the right if it applies to the final note of the whole ligature, but on top if it is anywhere else (flexa or no flexa). He has one example of a flexa followed by several square notes, with a dot above the following square note (i.e. in a position that happens to be also just to the right of the flexa), but the dot is meant to apply to the square note over which it stands, not the flexa.
Lukas