Re: horizontal spacing regression

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: horizontal spacing regression
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:50:54 -0800

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 03:26:47 -0800, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:20:15 -0800, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> wrote:

I think you'll find that the regression was caused by ee0488,

Yes. Reverting the commit to fix 1120, from current master :
[...]
+ and for some reason correctly spaces notes with melismata, so 1120 remains
fixed

I'm beginning to get a clue.
My /real/ bother about the spacing, since the first alpha, happens in
complicated situations, where the note-column spacing gets confused (see
image).  These misplaced skylines as shown in the debug output correlate with
LilyPond's behavior in spacing of note-columns.  We see this in 2.12 as well,
just a bit less often.

When I tried to reduce what really bothered me to minimal examples, while
putting aside problems that also affect 2.12.3, I lost the more serious
problem, and was left with the relative nitpick that became 1474.

Lyrics under tied notes have a similar displacement of skylines.  Sometime
between commit ee0488 and now the spacing of Lyrics changed (I didn't change
this one) so we avoid the symptom of issue 1120 (a tied note moves horizontally
to avoid lyrics) because the displaced skylines of lyrics now clear the
noteheads. If I reduce Lyrics' nonstaff-related padding, 1120 comes back; if I
remove it entirely, I can see the 1120 issue with version 2.13.46.

The fix to 1120 made the situations that bother me come up more often, although
the root cause appears unchanged since at least 2.12.3.  Adding some
extra-spacing-height to various objects make the underlying problem appear less
often.

I'm hoping that people who know the internals well will have time to pick a
wise solution to the multi-measure rest issue, then we can add
extra-spacing-height to Accidental if it still needed.
-Keith