MIDI remapping

From: c.m.bryan
Subject: MIDI remapping
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:25:33 +0000

Hi everyone, I know the lilypond's main purpose isn't midi playback.  HOWEVER :)

I am wondering if I can hack the source so that I can change what midi
pitch values are output when it renders.  This is so that I can retune
the output with a software synth like csound or pd.

For instance, I would like the following sequence of notes:

c cih cis des deh d

to send to the midi file the following pitch values:

60 61 62 63 64 65

or something like that.  The specific values don't really matter:  I
just need *discrete* values without enharmonic equivalents, since the
synth can map those to any pitches I like!  I'm not too familiar with
lilypond's internals, but I do have a rusty programming background.
Could someone tell me if this is a monumental undertaking, and if not
where I should begin looking through the source?

Many thanks

Chris