RE: Is it possible to have a single \override for same context/Grob for

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Is it possible to have a single \override for same context/Grob for different property values?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:33:00 +0000

Hello,

So is that a yes or no?

:)

What I am trying to avoid a scheme-code implementation in my .ly file simply
because as a 'normal' user all that stuff is hard for me. I expect I am not the
only one who struggles with knowing when to use a Grob  and/or context (or
which one even) the properties are not such a big deal once you figure the
context out - some \overrides seem to not need a grob and some do but anyway -
to give you some context of where this came from

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=375

The construct uses

notes = {
  \repeat unfold 5 { f,16 e' d' c' }
  \repeat unfold 5 { a16 c, e, c }
  \repeat unfold 5 { b16 f' c' g' }
  \repeat unfold 5 { d,16 g c f }
  \repeat unfold 5 { e,16 g b d }
  \repeat unfold 5 { g,16 a b c }
  \repeat unfold 5 { \stemDown d,16 a' e' b' }
}

damping = \repeat unfold 7 {
  %% default beam damping is 1:
  \override Beam #'damping = #1 s4^"1 (def.)"
  \override Beam #'damping = #2 s^"2"
  \override Beam #'damping = #4 s^"4"
  \override Beam #'damping = #-3 s^"-3"
  \override Beam #'damping = #+inf.0 s^"+inf.0"
}

And then have the construct

    <<
    \notes
    \damping

This works but if I want two or more overrides for the same group of notes it
breaks down.

So I was looking how to apply a 'single' instance of an override with the same
context but for multiple properties.

I realise that this might not be the best way for 'day to day' scores but I can
see some user for this for theoretical pieces or simplifying the creation of
musical exercises for instance.

James