Re: Issue 37 - new work

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Issue 37 - new work
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:43:22 +0000

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 02:38:56PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I cooked up this musical example that shows both responses to upward
> > and downward pressure to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.
> >
> > Is there a way to get this type of collision avoidance w/o a 2nd
> > quanting pass?
>
> Actually, it would appear a third pass would be nice in order to put
> sympathetic pressure on the lowest beam, decreasing the discrepancy of
> its stems with the adjacent (highly compressed) stem set.

Hmm...
  lilypond -p 0 my_file.ly    % for quick work
  lilypond -p 2 my_file.ly    % for a draft to print out
  lilypond -p 9 my_file.ly    % for the final score
;)

Despite the joke, this is a semi-serious suggestion that I've been
hoping that somebody might be interested in for years.  There's a
bunch of options that we can enable or disable to change the
amount of processing power; it would be really nice if one (or
more) people seriously looked into this, and provided an easy way
to change between the "optimization" levels.