Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 17:20:25 -0800

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:01:02 -0800, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

Please tell me what you think.
Graham, Han-Wen, Reinhold, Keith - may i ask for your opinion too?
After all, this changes will affect virtually all scores (all notes on
middle line of the staff will have longer stems, not mentioning other
changes). Also it's my first contribution, and i've spent many hours
fine-tuning the new flags, so i'd like to know how this turned out.
(as for the c++ code - i'm totally aware that it needs improvement.
metafont is much easier ;P).

Janek,
 I am not going to have an aesthetic opinion.  I read and write mostly piano
music, which is crowded enough that I don't notice changes on the scale you are
proposing.

 You should use the properties defined in scm/define-grobs.scm under Stem,
'lengths' and 'stem-shorten', to hold your adjusted values.
Other parts of the code might need to access these values, in order to know how
much to lengthen a stem to avoid other note-heads, for example.
--
Keith