Re: [translations] cs nodes, revisions and updates of documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [translations] cs nodes, revisions and updates of documentation
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:10:12 +0000

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 01:00:46PM +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2011/2/10 Pavel Fric <address@hidden>:
>
> > Now I am using German translation files as base; only the name of
> > translator and national code changed more: Now there are some new files
> > with node definitions in Czech, sometimes with refs, and menus processed of
> > course too, but with text for some time in German.
>
> We have a mechanism to offer untranslated versions of sections to the
> reader.  I am not sure we should give three languages instead of two;
> if a section is untranslated, my humble opinion is that it should stay
> in English. Read about the @untranslated macro and please consider
> using it.
>
> What do others think?

*shrug*

I think the individual translator of the individual language
should decide.  Does he think that Czech readers are more familiar
with German than English?  If so, I'd say that having a section in
German is no problem.

In most cases, my first guess is that English is the best "second
option" is the native language isn't available... but that isn't
always going to be true.  For example, if somebody started up a
Flemish translation, it may be appropriate to display untranslated
sections in Dutch rather than English.  A translation into
Romansch might prefer to display untranslated material in German
or French or Italian or whichever language they think that their
target audience is most likely to understand.  A translation into
Cantonese might prefer to display unstranslated stuff in Mandarin,
rather than English.

Bottom line: the person best qualified to decide this is the
individual translator.