Issue 1294 - Lyric ties

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:51:27 -0000

I'm checking some of the lyric-based issues in case they've been fixed in the latest release, and came back across

which reported that Lyric ties do not work in 2.13. It was added as a regression, then downgraded for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me except that the reasons for it aren't clearly understood. I think it was believed that adding "The lyric tie is implemented with the Unicode character U+203F, so be sure to have a font (like DejaVuLGC) installed that includes this glyph." to the NR was a good enough workaround.

I don't believe it is. A minor nitpick is that DejaVuLGC does not include this glyph in its seriffed versions, AFAICS - it's in DejaVu Sans - a sans serif font. Now, I've just gone and got both of those fonts and installed them. If I explicitly set the LyricText font-name to DejaVu Sans, then I get satisfactory lyric ties. If I don't, then I get short lyric ties, different from the documented output. My test file as below gives the attached image.

{
 \time 3/4
 \relative c' { c2 e4 g2 e4 }
 \addlyrics { gran- de_a- mi- go }
 \addlyrics { pu- "ro y ho-" nes- to }
 \addlyrics { pu- ro~y~ho- nes- to }
 \addlyrics {
   \override LyricText #'font-name = #"DejaVu Sans"
   pu- ro~y~ho- nes- to
 }
}

Now - there's one other interesting feature here. If I delete the fourth line of the lyrics above (the one with the explicit font) and run Lily 2.13.49, saving the PS file, it has the following in the postscript header:

%%DocumentMedia: a4 595.28 841.89 80 () ()
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font MS-Gothic
%%EndComments

If I run the same file in 2.12.3 I get:

%%DocumentMedia: a4 595.28 841.89 80 () ()
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font DejaVuSans
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font feta-alphabet20
%%EndComments

which is interesting - 2.12 has found a font with the glyph in, and has automatically used it. 2.13 doesn't do this.

Sorry - but this, for me, is back to looking like a regression.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad