Re: Question about @lilypond options for creating smaller page examples

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Question about @lilypond options for creating smaller page examples within our Doc
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 05:39:18 +0000

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:47:18AM +0000, James Lowe wrote:
> It seems to me that I cannot create an explicit output size by
> specifying  height and width dimensions, like I can specify a
> line length within a @lilypond [xxx] variable.

Hmm.  Is there a difference between "width dimension" and "line
length" ?

(non-rhetorical question; I honestly don't know)

> So I thought that if we had a 'custom' entry in the
> scm/paper.scm file - I experimented with some sizes and it seems
> that having a height of 35mm is enough to get a line of music, a
> header/title and a footer - that we could simply refer to that
> within the @lilypond [xxx] variables. But I cannot see what
> option to use or if it is possible.

Oh, that would be a nice idea.  Like a "tinypage" paper size.

I do not believe that we can use a [pagesize=xyz] option in
lilypond-book yet, but adding this could be a nice Frog task.
(not for James, but for somebody else)

If nobody points out a better way of doing this, let's add a
feature request to the tracker.

> I could just explicitly put a \paper {} variable within the
> @lilypond construct but this isn't as neat and I can't see which
> option to use in the @lilypond [xxx] variable to force it to use
> the \paper {} either.

Definitely agreed there!