Re: build system work

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: build system work
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:55:53 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Lily devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:50 PM

On 3/4/11, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm wondering whether we should actually start with a real Wiki - like the one used for the regtests. Doing this would mean that any work done would be immediately visible, rather than having to pull git and make docs, which
would save me oodles of time (a technical phrase).

I dislike wikis; it's yet one more markup format to learn, I can't
easily edit them with my normal text editor, they rely on having an
internet connection, there's no permanent record, and they don't fit
into the current development skills used for lilypond.  Also, once
you've built the docs once -- and if there's no build system changes
from the translations -- then rebuilding the CG is really fast, since
the CG doesn't include any @lilypond example.

However, if you and Colin would find it easier to work on a wiki, then
by all means do so.  There's no point adding artificial constraints to
this task; it's hard enough as it is.  But please move material into
the CG from time to time (say, once a month?), otherwise we'll lose
whatever documentation you two write.

I'll wait for Colin's thoughts.

--
Phil Holmes