Re: build system work

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: build system work
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:40:34 -0700

On 11-03-04 09:23 AM, Francisco Vila wrote:
2011/3/4 Graham Percival<address@hidden>:
To that end, I've just added a new CG 12 Build system notes.  The goal
is to have a "wiki-like" dump of whatever info we suspect about the
build system.
Does that include the _doc_ build system?

I'll take the liberty of replying on behalf of Graham and Phil, Francisco. There was a lot of pressure coming from the doc builds, which are quite fragile, breaking in odd ways, not very predictably, and taking a long time to run. We want to first, understand the present build system top to bottom, then look at ways of making it more robust, more efficient, and more maintainable, quite possibly in that order. The doc system is a particular focus of mine, as that's where I make my small efforts, and it also seems to be the most complex part of the whole, but even the root elements are doing odd things: I discovered today that creating /build in ~/lilypond-git, then cd build and ../configure, creates another 3 levels of /build (~/lilypond-git/build/build/build/build/build) before running make.

We're still discussing how best to organize this, but we'll certainly have a way of gathering input from everyone, so stay tuned!

Cheers,
Colin

--
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance
of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who