Re: Implements footnotes in LilyPond (issue4245062)

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Implements footnotes in LilyPond (issue4245062)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 23:19:51 +1100

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey all,

After a bit of back and forth w/ Han Wen, I have drummed up a way to split this up such that it can be part of LilyPond in two phases.  It follows his suggestion to push all of the non-balloon-related stuff first, and to push that second.  It will set the stencil property of FootnoteItem and FootnoteSpanner to #f in define-grobs.scm.  This means that whatever people write for the annotation part of the footnote will be swallowed up and not used, whereas the note part on the bottom of the page will be printed.

If anyone has arguments for pushing this whole thing in its entirety, let me know.  I am in favor of that for the reasons I stated in my previous e-mail, but I also realize that big chunks of code pushed all at once can make bug tracking interminable.

If not, the plan is to push the non-balloon-related stuff today, let it simmer for a few days, and then push the balloon related stuff used for the in-document annotations.  I will make a nice long commit message detailing this so that, hopefully, experimental users don't waste hours figuring out what happened to their non-appearing annotations.  Alternatively, if anyone feels that I should split this up but that I am splitting it up the wrong way, please let me know.

That sounds fine to me. Do you have a patch showing the part you are going to push first? I was happy with the spacing-related code up until your break-visibility changes, but if you're going to include anything since then, I'd like to have another quick look (I have to catch a plane in 12 hours; if you put up your patch before then, I'll have a look right away).

Cheers,
Joe