Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:13:12 +0100

Thanks for the helpful comments!  Responses inlined below.

On Mar 9, 2011, at 6:38 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Nice job, as usual !
>
> However, I noticed some obvious problems. You probably already know
> them.
>
> Here, the padding :
> \markup {
>  \footnote b c
>  \footnote e f
> }
>
> Here, the horizontal space between markup and number :
> \markup {
>  \footnote d e
>  \footnote f g
> }

This is not untrue...I'll need to study the code a bit more to know if this is
elegantly modifiable.  And by "I" I mean "hopefully not just I."
If it is not elegantly modifiable, I think that the best way to handle this (as
annoying as it would be) would be to take every common glyph in the alphabet
and figure out the ideal spacing between it and a footnote.

> Also : why are in-text numbers 0.75\mm higher than footnotes numbers ?

No good reason, but I'd be amenable to changing it to whatever.

> To conclude, this horizontal spacing bug (3 spacing bugs in 1) :
> \markup {
>  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
>  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
>  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
>  \footnote a a
> }

Yikes...I'll get on that!

> Now, some suggestions :
>
> Can you create another "footnote-numbering-function" that prints "1.
> blablabla" instead of the raised numbers ? Maybe with an argument to
> define whether there should be a space after the dot.
> Optionally another that handles "[1] " notation.

Yup!  I'll work on that tomorrow.

> And maybe a property to change font-series and font-shape for these
> numbers (those that are in the notes). Indeed, some editors use bold "1.
> " while others use italic raised numbers.

Ditto - I'll make a collection of useful functions.

> There is often a no-break thin space between a word and its note number
> in french editions (Flammarion, Le livre de poche, etc).

I'll look into that (I have Dalloz Code de l'Urbanisme in front of me right
now...ugh....).

> It would be great if we could this input :
> \markup \footnote a { bla bla bla bla bla bla [many others] bla bla bla
> bla bla bla }
> instead of :
> \markup \footnote a \justify { bla bla bla bla bla bla [many others] bla
> bla bla bla bla bla }

Yes, but this hits upon a bigger problem: LilyPond does not handle text very
well.  At a certain point, it may be better to use LilyPond book and use
LaTeX's native text functionalities.

> And it would be even greater if we could use :
> \markup a \footnote { bla bla }
> instead of :
> \markup \footnote a { bla bla }
>
> I know this last issue is very tricky... And it has a low priority.

True - I'll look into it, though.

> And again, great job !

Thanks!
~Mike