Re: shortened flags affair, part 5 - length of notes extending far from

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 5 - length of notes extending far from staff
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:28:50 -0000

Gardner Read does not deal much with beam placement.  Kurt Stone says that the beam in this case should straddle the middle line, which Lily does (see image).  He says that for double and multiple beams, stems are usually lengthened by half a space for each additional beam, but when 3 or more beams are used there is no rigid rule and a balance has to be struck between being too close to the note head and being too long.  I actually think Lily does a pretty good job here.

--
Phil Holmes