Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:24:05 -0700

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:50:32 -0700, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:>
1) re-balancing the instruments
Do you have a test file for that?
We have input\regression\midi-volume-equaliser.ly; the equalizer is still
effective, but the values will probably need re-balancing if you implemnt
dynamics differently.

> In fact, this should do it
Segfaults during midi generation.
Do you have a .ly file?

Nevermind. I got confused somehow other bug; it looks like what I tested was
    announce_element (Audio_element_info (audio_staff, 0));
+  if (!instrument_string_.empty ())
+    set_instrument (channel_, voice);
    staff_map_[voice] = audio_staff;
    return audio_staff;
Sorry.
Using set_instrument() /after/ adding audio_staff to staff_map_[] does work.
NotationPlayer is re-assured and plays the midi correctly.

If we use the new midiChannelMapping=#'voice, the notes in
such voices sound as default piano.

A temporary voice, creating a new track, sounds as a piano?  The
original voice and new temporary voice are in different tracks,
but have the same channel number.

No no.  If we let the temporary Voice use the channel of its Staff then midi
players give it the sound already set on that channel (unless the player is
'confused').  If we map new Voices to new channels, midi players sound the new
channel as piano, and in the current design there is not yet any means to
change the instrument, so there seems no point in having
midiChannelMapping=#'voice.

What exactly do you mean by `confused'?

My 'confused' midi-player would revert the channel Piano sound if a temporary
Voice created a new track sharing the channel with existing Voices.  This
player would sound all Voices on that channel as Piano.  Your suggestion to put
program changes on these new tracks removes the 'confusion'.