Re: shortened flags: choosing appropriate flag (issue4410049)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: shortened flags: choosing appropriate flag (issue4410049)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:16:26 -0300

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 5:02 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> \relative c'' {
>        \new CueVoice {
>                \voiceOne \autoBeamOff
>                a8 b c d e f g a
>                a,16 b c d e f g a
>                }
>
>        \new Voice {
>                \voiceOne \autoBeamOff
>                a,16 b c d e f g a
>                a,8 b c d e f g a
>                }
> uses (i think) two different design sizes (one for cues, one for normal
> notes) and yet everything is fine - change from regular flags to
> shortened flags take place on note d both in cues and normal notes.
> Also when i compile this and a copy of this file with
> #(set-global-staff-size 15) the results are correct.
> Perhaps i'm not understanding something?

You are initializing this list just once, while in principle it can
have different values for every loaded font.  Even if it may work, it
is wrong.

As a general rule we try to avoid global variables, since they always
are or become a pain in the ass.

> http://codereview.appspot.com/4410049/diff/1/lily/stem.cc#newcode650
> lily/stem.cc:650: /* examine available standard flags glyphs.
> On 2011/04/18 03:42:53, hanwenn wrote:
>>
>> this seems awfully kludgy.  Can't we just export another list of
>
> dimension
>>
>> variables directly in the font?   See gen-emmentaler-script.py and
>> mf/out/*table*
>
> From what i understand gen-emmentaler-scripts.py it extracts some
> variables, like glyph size, from mf files. That's quite not what we need
> to do - the information that we need must be specified by font-designer
> manually and separately from actual flag variables. (these numbers do
> not appear in flag code mf variables nor can be calculated from them.)

have a look at feta-generic.mf - the dimensions are abitrary and
designer specified.