Compressabilty

From: Olivier Chamley
Subject: Compressabilty
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:32:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everybody...

I have some difficulties to understand the minimum-distance setting, I just
hopped that somebody could explain it to me.

According to current documentation, minimum-distance is the smallest allowable
vertical distance, and basic-distance the default one. So with the following
code, I would expect the staffs to compress down to being stuck together until
they don't fit in one page, where they would go back to basic-distance spacing
on two pages.

\include "italiano.ly"
  \paper { system-system-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 12) (minimum-
distance . 0) (padding . 0) (stretchability . 1e7))
    ragged-right = ##t }
  \score { \new Staff { \unfoldRepeats { \repeat volta 15 \relative do'' { do4
re mi fa \break } } } }

This is not the case ! With the above example, I get two pages. Setting
minimum-distance to 10 does not change anything. And having both basic-
distance and minimum-distance to 0, I can have 20 staffs in page...

Is this normal ?

Regards,

Olivier